Network marketing blog

Information on network marketing, also known as multi level marketing

Sunday, November 07, 2004

Nuskin distributor Big Planet websites search engines

I don't mean to brag, but I know quite a bit about search engine optimization. I figured that by optimizing my Nuskin web site, I could do well with the search engines, drive traffic to my online nuskin store, and earn more commissions. My upline said this would be no problem; I'd have total control over my web site and be able to host it anywhere I wanted.

I started investigating the various options: GWP - Global Web Page, DWP - Dynamic Web Page, and eDWP - a fancy version of the DWP.

I figure I'd have a big advantage over other Nuskin distributors; every single site I visited had session IDs. Without getting too specific, session IDs stop search engines from checking out your site. Generally, it's not too difficult to ad a snippet of code that removes session IDs whenever a search engine visits your site (you still need them for real visitors).

I contacted Big Planet tech support and asked them what my options were. I asked the following questions:

1. the cost for hosting the site on Nuskin servers
2. if I can make adjustments to the shopping cart script to remove session IDs for search engines.
3. if there is any way to set up a Nuskin product site on my own domain with my own host that is completely indexble by search engines.

I got these answers:

1. The monthly cost for the 4 websites is $24.95.
2. No you cannot edit the shopping cart scripts or remove the session ids
3. No, that would violate company policies.

The answers were not at all what I was expecting. If we're supposed to believe that Big Planet is a high tech company, than we have to believe that they know how to remove the session IDs. The fact that they won't allow me to remove the session IDs got me angry.

What bothered me most was that I couldn't host the sites somewhere else. One, most other web hosts are less expensive. 24.95/month is outrageous considering how few visitors these sites will receive without search engine traffic. It seems that Nuskin is increasing profits by overcharging distributors for their web site hosting.

The second thing that bothered me was why Nuskin didn't want the product information indexed by search engines. Don't they want their distributors to sell products? Isn't that how they make their money? Well they do want distributors to sell products, but only face to face. The fact is Nuskin does not want its distributors to attract general search engine traffic. Why not? Nuskin has its own web pages about its products and these are fully search engine optimized. Nuskin wants people who search on Google, Yahoo, MSN, etc. to find the company product pages and buy direct from Nuskin. They make more money when people buy from the comany than through a distributor.

I don't like the fact that Nuskin is competing with me and other distributors for search engine traffic, handicapping me by not permitting the removal of session IDs, and making me pay expensive web hosting fees for an ecommerce web page that's really designed to fail. Sure, getting people to visit your site through word of mouth and possibly other forms of advertising can help, but the key to succeeding on the internet is traffic and search engines are the best source of traffic.

I know I sound angry. I am. But I'm not quitting. I'll just have to put my SEO skills to use some other way.